And once again, I add more bugs than I fix! :P (v1.3.2 out)
Sorry for the last update, there were 2 major bugs in there:
- Scrolling between desktops suddenly stopped in between screens when the desktop scrolling speed was set up very high.
- If you added a folder to the dock or dockbar, you got a nice FC loop :(
So i’ve “kind of” fixed them and released v1.3.2… hopefully this one lasts a bit longer. On a side note, I think I’ve fixed a bug regarding some devices (like the dell streak one) where the “portrait orientation” was not being properly applied…. but as I don’t own such device the “fix” is unconfirmed.
My apologizes again!
Previous post (v1.3.1):
Rebember, with great power comes great responsibility, and with ADW updates, come .1′s :).
I’ve made a few fixes on ADWLauncher EX v1.3.1 for some minor annoyances and reported bugs, nothing big.
There’s a new option (ADWSettings/UI Settings/Icons) called “Density Hack“. This is enabled by default on large and xlarge MDPI devices to load HDPI icons instead of the MDPI ones. This is what google did on Honeycomb’s launcher… and although I don’t like the way they did it, is quite “cool” or whatever and otherwise some honeycomb users would get very tiny icons on their “awesome” tablets…
Anyways, some other users may like smaller “real state” icons so I’ve added it as an option (options? inside ADW? what?) ;)
I’ve also been noticed about some of the transition effects causing strange graphic glitches in some devices (mostly the cube inverse, but may be other ones too). I’m working on it, but isn’t fixed yet on this release.
First of all I want to apologize for the lack of updates…I’d like to give you all a clear explanation about it:
As some of you may know, I started the ADW project long ago as a learning/having fun thing. I was unemployed and wanted to learn things to do with my phone. I spent between 5/8 hours a day on it during the first year, releasing weekly updates (sometimes even daily). You all made the project grow up with constant requests, suggestions, ideas, etc, and the most important thing: you made me get a new full time job dedicated to android on a cool spanish company called Iphonedroid.
The bad news? After a full year unemployed, getting back to work changed everything, and it’s taken longer than expected setting up a “daily development schedule” for my personal projects. Well, I’m trying to find a good way of going on devvin’ (:P) ADW in my very limited free time and without getting my family mad at it. This is how i’ve managed to push today’s update.
I can’t promise weekly updates, but I really want to do more regular stuff. One of my top priorities is putting something back into “ADW2″ project (which its been succesfully worked on by Florian Sundermann with very cool additions) porting some of the EX goodies into it and the opensource world.
Also, I DO read EVERY email I get, sometimes the answer is fast, sometimes I need to find some time to sit down and reply… But feel free to go on sending suggestions, requests, bug reports, etc!
Ok, enough boring stuff for today, now the good news:
ADWLauncher EX v1.3.0
- Completely redone the app drawers code from scratch to improve memory usage and scrolling performance, even with transparencies, live wallpapers, etc
- Scroll snapping on the vertical drawer/4d drawer “a la launcher 2″. (option enabled by default)
- “True” home screen looping (enabled by default) ported from ADW2.
- New theme management screen with added functionality (and more will come)
- Dock and dockbar background customization moved into the new theme management screen.
- Users now can select a different theme for icons/dock/dockbar/all the rest.
- Removed the persistence option due to being removed from android 2.3 (and it was really hacky btw).
- New transitions from popular demand: cube, cube inverse and wheel.
- New “desktop zoom” option when opening the app drawers (enabled by default)
- Drawer swiping in the opposite direction of the scroll to change app groups (disabled by default, and I’ll add more visual feedback on next update).
- Experimental Honeycomb compatibility with enabled hardware acceleration.
- Better large and xlarge screens compatibility (wether on android 1.6, 2.x or 3.0)
- New quickactions implementation for desktop long pressing items with new actions. (ported from ADW2)
- New implementation for the counter bubbles with improved appearance.
- New error reporting system to send (if you want to) direct crash feedback and spam to me :)
- Lots of minor fixes here and there from user reports.
- Other things I might have forgotten :P
I know is not a “big biggie”, but… hey… we’re back!
For themers out there:
If you’ve made themes for ADW.Launcher and/or ADWLauncher EX, you should add this lines to your res/values/theme_config.xml :)
<!-- remove this line if you don't want it to show --> <string name="authorName">Your real name/nickname</string> <!-- remove this line if you don't want the market link --> <string name="developerName">Your android market developer name</string> <!-- remove this line if you don't have one --> <string name="authorLink">http://your.web.site</string>
Also, you can now include in your themes a proper activity and “call to ADW” to apply the theme. I’ve included an intent for this:
Intent i=new Intent("org.adw.launcher.SET_THEME");i.putExtra("org.adw.launcher.theme.NAME","x.x.x");startActivity(Intent.createChooser(i,"Apply theme to..."));
This will be compatible with ADW, ADWEX and any other fork after I push the changes to git, but currently will only work on this version of ADWEX.
Next week I’ll be pushing another release with all the community translations for ADWEX, so if your language is not there, feel free to join and submit! :-)
Also my TO-DO list for ADW is BIG, so expect always some new option, bug, etc ;-)