ADWLauncher EX 1.3.3.1

Hi everyone!

One or two weeks ago, some devices started to get Android 3.2 update…. and suddenly ADWEX ADWSettings menu stopped working….

As the summer is here and my job granted us some free time in the hot afternoons, I took the opportunity to make sohme other changes in addition to the 3.2 fix. Read next:

Changelog:

• Fix the incompatibility found within ADWSettings against android 3.2 (I still don’t know how, but it fixed while messing the xmls :P)
  • In Android 3.x tablets, the top Actionbar now displays a customizable shirtcut to the left instead the ugly app icon. It’s set to “open app drawer” by default, but you can modify it by longpressing it and pressing “Edit” in the popup, like any other icon :)
  • In Android 3.x tablets, the top Actionbar displays also a few menu items to the right (in the order set up by you with ADWSettings/General Behavior/System Preferences/Customize menu), because a lot of people wanted to get rid of the “Lock desktop” fixed item there.
  • New dockbar (The secondary dockbar, the one you reveal by “swiping up” over the Main Dock) design thanks to @joshuas_79 :
  • New option for the dockbar (yes, the secondary one, remember: you can put any number of icons in there, it has scrolling magic) can now be set as “primary“.
  • Both docks are now always horizontally placed at the bottom on big screen devices (10″ tablets)
  • If you have a folder within the main dock or the dockbar, you can (finally!) drag and drop items inside those folders.
  • New “Quick Folder Popup” implementation:
    • User folders now display in a horizontally scrollable/paginated icon list (usability/speed improvement IMHO)
    • Custom app groups “Launcher Actions” can be set to be show in the same “popup” or in the full app drawer via a new option in the “Edit Shirtcut” screen (see screenshots).
    • This popup can be themed (more info below)
  • A bunch of other small tweaks and fixes, as usual, but nothing “big”, sorry :(

Theming info:

I’m sharing a few “hints” about how to properly put together some elements of an ADW theme, but hopefully soon, Master @klinster will be able to bring more in depth help to themers out there:

1. The new “Quick Folder Popup” can be themed providing three drawables: qa_popupqa_arrow_up and qa_arrow_down. The original pictures are attached in this post for you to use as reference.
  2. Make sure you place your drawables in the proper directories, or your theme will look ugly.
    1. For example, icons:

Icon sizes must respect the android guidelines, this is:
      -ldpi=36×36
      -mdpi=48×48
      -hdpi=72×72

Why is this so important? Because if themes do NOT contain icons with the proper resolution/density, they will look distorted/pixelated/etc. And think about this: if you DON’T put HDPI icons within your theme, your tablet customers are going to be mad at you!
      Also, putting a 96×96 icon within drawable-mdpi/drawable-hdpi will only cause the icons to be poorly scaled down to comply the standards…. just an advice.

2. And different screen sizes/orientations:

Take for example the dockbar (the secondary one). It needs just one drawable to theme it: dockbar_bg.

• If the app is running in a phone, in protrait mode, this dockbar appears as an horizontal row of icons at the bottom of the screen.
      • If the app is running in a phone, in landscape, this dockbar appears as a vertical column of icons at the right side of the screem.
      • If the app is running on a tablet device, this dockbar appears as an horizontal row of icons at the bottom of the screen (in both portrait and landscape mode!)

So, for a proper Dockbar theming you should design at least 3 images!

• res/drawable-port/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-land/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-xlarge/dockbar_bg.png

But also, if you want to provide the better looking pictures for teh user, you should provide density dependant drawables in the proper directories!! So this could be something like…

• res/drawable-port-ldpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-land-ldpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-port-mdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-land-mdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-port-hdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-land-hdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-xlarge-port-mdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-xlarge-land-mdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-xlarge-port-hdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • res/drawable-xlarge-port-hdpi/dockbar_bg.png
      • …….

So…. yes, this can be as complex as you may think of, but it ends in showing the properly sized/better quality images. And remember, NinePatch drawables are best to fit this kind of items in a bigger range of screen resolutions!!!

Conclusion:

I know there are a lot of things to do to provide a better user experience and improve the overall quality of the app, so I apologize in advance for any issue you may find (or have found). I’ll try my best to improve things… I always try.

Best regards!

=(AnderWeb)=

1. HI,

at first the launcher is very good, but i miss some features.
    maybe you can upgrade this app.

1. In the drawer i added some categories but i cant move or sort them.
    It is: ALL, Multimedia, Tools, GPS,…. But maybe i want to have a new order. e.g. All, GPS, Multimedia, Tools,…
    2. If i slide through the categories in the drawer an info bubble with the category name appears but this bubble is so slow. if i move through some categories i have so wait a few seconds to know in which category i am currently in
    3. It would be also cool if there will be maybe a feature to create custom gestures on the homescreen to launch apps.
    4. I have seen that i can create a shortcut to switch directly to a drawer category. It would be very nice if there is any chance to see these shortcuts in the app directory so that i can use these actions in other programs.
    for example: i use cyanogenmod and in the lockscreen i would like to draw a “G” to go to category “Games” but in the app/action i cant see this shortcut to the categories. Only in the homescreen menu.

thanks and best regards
    steven

• Anthony
    • September 18th, 2011 9:17am

Is there a way to import setting from the the original ADWLauncher to the Launcher EX. I just bough the EX version to play with and I can’t see to find a way to do that. I thought I could backup in the original and then restore in the new, but they write/read into different directories it looks like (which you already know). Anyway, is it possible to import, or do I need to sit and rebuild my settings in the EX version? Thanks for your time and for the awesome apps.

Anthony

• David Wilson
    • September 18th, 2011 7:22pm

Few issues relating to the hidden dockbar. First, I want to say that I really like the concept of it, better than any standard dockbars otherwise available. Very Mac-like.
    1. Even when set to “use as primary”, a reboot results in the old primary dockbar showing up. I would like to just totally disable the atandard dockbar.
    2. It is hard to drag and drop rearrange the hidden dockbar. Takes multiple tries.
    3. If there are enough icons to cause me to scroll, the right most icon never is usable. It just bounces off the screen. This is only portrait mode, not landscape (on Thunderbolt w/ aosp Liquid Thunderbread rom).
    4. Can you make a setting to just lock the dockbar and not everything else? Or at least make an ‘undo’ feature for changes to the dockbar? It’s too easy to accidentally drag off an icon.
    5. Regarding dragging an icon off the hidden dockbar, if it is dragged onto a full homescreen, it just disappears. It should go somewhere, perhaps to a homescreen with space?
    6. Saving and then restoring ADW settings (not sure if settings or desktop configuration as I did both) screws up the dockbar – got gaps and overlapping icons. Had to drag everything off then put back on.
    7. Consider use of gestures for icons on both primary and hidden bars. For example, in Launcher Pro, I have a GMail icon that launches my work account with a tap and home account with a swipe upward.

I appologize for the volume of things I presented in one post.
    David

• dan55
    • September 19th, 2011 3:53am

hi all.
    liking some of the changes. I do like the folder popup.
    I think you can revert to the old style but editing the desktop icon and unchecking
    the popup option.

I would lime to see drag and drop for adding apps to folders

cheers
    dan

• mantra
    • September 19th, 2011 4:58pm

Like ADW EX very much, it’s my daily launcher. One bug never seems to get fixed. Custom icon labels get reset to default on a phone reboot. Custom labels is a very nice feature, but having to fix each one after a reboot is a PITA. Please, please fix this. Thanks.

• Kaan
    • September 19th, 2011 6:07pm

Hi. I want to buy ADW Launcher EX but I have no credit card. Is there another way to buy it? If there is please mail me.

Owner of Samsung Galaxy S @ 2.3.4.

Thanks a lot for any kind of answer.

• mzmz83
    • September 20th, 2011 8:54pm

Hi I’ve posted my problem on xda with some shots.
    Thanks for look through.

• Eran
    • September 21st, 2011 7:25am

+1 for old folders popup.

• RR
    • September 21st, 2011 12:41pm

”bugs”/requests:
    *If actionbar is hidden (top bar in honeycomb), and I rotate my screen it will be unhidden
    *if using lock screen from menu, it unlocks when rotating
    *slow update of graphics on widgets when screen rotate. Specific: desktop visualizer widgets (so might be that app)
    *is it possible to lock screen (icons widgets wallpaper) to not rotate, and only the menu bar at bottom rotate?
    *possible to replace the navigation bar at bottom (back,home,etc) with sphingosine controls? or still have access, but they do not take up space on screen. I’ve seen some developers make it invisible, and visible by pressing power button

• Alex
    • September 21st, 2011 8:12pm

It would be very good and important to customize the new “Quick Folder Popup”.

• Finder
    • September 22nd, 2011 3:50am

I have a Nook Color and I am a massive fan of ADW. I have seen screenshots of ADW using its Tablet UI on non-honeycomb tablets. However, my Nook Color uses the phone UI when on anything other than honeycomb. Is there some way to force the Tablet UI? It’s fantastic looking, it would really make my Nook Color function far better as a tablet.

• Alex
    • September 22nd, 2011 3:38pm

Where to get support or post suggestions? Why don’t setup a forum here?
    —-
    sadly I recognized that the popup on app otions are now missing the entry for manage catalog entrys of thios app as it exitst in free ADW :-(
    As well the app label on the home screen are now central aligned before it was on the left. Now you have cutted long App names at start and beginning (e.g. KeePassDroid)
    I would like to post Screenshots but where? :-(

br

• Sam Kim
    • September 22nd, 2011 9:08pm

I would like to develop for launcher. so I just want to reference ADW launcher for base. But i couldn’t find that source for Ginger.
    I heard about ADW.launcher is opensource..

If you know how to get it or what it’s fault, let me know that.
    My e-mail is tichangel@gmail.com

• LarryInAz
    • September 23rd, 2011 1:14pm

I just discovered ADW Launcher EX and absolutely love the flexibility. @->-
    However one thing I can’t find in the large variety of customization is the ability to re-size the icons in the Dockbar. Why would these icons be so small compared to the icons used in the regular dock and/or Home screens?

Maybe the control is there and I just can’t find it but I’ve looked and looked and haven’t seen anything. ;-(

• amit
    • September 23rd, 2011 4:42pm

My names Amit

• someone93
    • September 25th, 2011 10:39pm

hello. I just bought the adw launcher ex 1.3.3.1

I love the launcher, but when I try to launch the music widget, it launches another widget. why? what can I do with it? same problem with my sms widget – when I try to open my sms’s, it opens up my contacts…

is it my phone or the adw launcher? please e-mail me (I left the mail-address) in the contact information

• Hahn
    • September 26th, 2011 4:37pm

I have been a huge fan of ADW Launcher since the era of Cyanogen, and now migrate to MIUI, I still loyal with ADWLauncher. I even purchase the EX version.

However, ADW doesn’t uses system icons. To be more clear, I want to use default MIUI icons. ADWLauncher EX uses a mix of android standard icons (for messages, market, browser and few others) and round icons preinstalled with MIUI.

I tried the free version of ADW, and ironically, it doesn’t suffer the issue.

I tried every theme settings in both MIUI and ADW, but the launcher keep using its own icon.

Is there a solution to this?

• skyli
      • September 28th, 2011 11:58pm

Please put a simple option to use system(for example:MIUI) icons :)

• pranav
    • September 27th, 2011 10:17pm

Hi,i purchased the adw ex from market and am using it as default launcher with vegantab 7. The problem i am having is that i am unable to change the location of the dock. The dock always appears at the bottom of the screen with 5 shortcuts. Previously when i used awdex with CM7 rom i could customize the location of the dock. How do i change the dock location to the right side of my screen?

• JeniSkunk
    • September 27th, 2011 10:55pm

Been using ADWLauncherEX since March on my LG P500 Optimus One (P509 Optimus-T for US folks), and it’s worked flawlessly.
    Went to try it on the Huawei S7 tablet I’d bought at a local department store stock clearout sale, and the only icon text options that display properly are the ones that mimic stock default basic. The icon text displays properly without need for adjusting, in the free version.

Add me to the list of paid users who want a folder view option for using the old folder view.

• kdogg53
    • September 28th, 2011 2:46am

Any way to disable “lock desktop” question when you long hold on the desktop?

• chuck420
    • September 28th, 2011 5:20am

I just purchased EX and I am very happy with your product by far the best launcher out there. There was a feature on the free version that I liked that isn’t on ex. I would like to know if it I’d something that I missed or what. When the homescreen is locked it asks, when I long press, if I want to unlock. Is there a way to disable that I like it when it is locked and the pop up is annoying. Greatt work man. I love your product!!

• Andy
    • September 28th, 2011 10:33am

I bought ADW Launcher Ex for my Asus EEE Pad Transformer.

Great product but some annoying bugs:

1. Main Dock icons keeps getting messed up. Have to restore by going to settings and applying theme again.
    2. Restore desktop does not work for widgets. Screen will display Problem Loading Widget

Hope they get fixed.

• Martin
    • September 28th, 2011 10:48pm

Hi,

I am getting force closes when I try to open my icon pack. I just wanted to port the free Tango icons to ADW but I am stuck with this problem. Followed your step by step tutorial. Just added one Icon to the icon pack xml and it doesn’t work. :/

Can you help me please.

• Johnny
    • September 29th, 2011 7:21am

My wallpaper is not properly center the wallpaper on 1 desktop or multiple. The wallpaper drop to bottom for almost one third of the screen.

Without using ADW, my wallpaper display is fine.

• Hahn
    • September 29th, 2011 3:02pm

skyli :
    Please put a simple option to use system(for example:MIUI) icons :)

Totally!

I mean I should be options, in case users want to revert back to ADW’s way of managing icons

• Musa Alami
    • September 30th, 2011 2:54pm

I have an SUS slider. When sliding the keyboard out while in the homescreen, the widgets reload for no reason! Android 3.2

• Ryan
    • September 30th, 2011 6:49pm

Will this launcher let me hide the dock bar?

2. I have the exact same issue with ADW that I have had since I first tried it..catalog management! Yes, I can make a new catalog and add things to it, but I can neither drag n drop, nor can I see the name of the catalog unless I am scrolling through them VERY slowly..if you need to scroll fast, the popup catalog name can’t keep up..and why would I want to scroll that slow? lol..the one thing keeping me with GoLauncher EX is the catalog management..drag n drop into folders so i can categorize my way all the time! And I have noticed that with Gingerbread, ADW is having a difficult time remembering settings from one use to the next..just a heads up

3. runs around the room screaming, “FOLDERS IN THE APP DRAWER, FOLDERS IN THE APP DRAWER, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THE GODS THERE ARE!!”

thank you, that is all.

• antonio
    • October 1st, 2011 9:55pm

Esta aplicacion es una basura para el galaxy s me a jodido el telefono dos veces que la he intalado se bloquea se apaga y no puedes hacer nada solo perder tu datos y tener que resetear el movil al estado de fabrica solo espero que me devuelvan la pasta

• Meerbot
    • October 2nd, 2011 6:59am

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, running Android 3.1 – I Just installed ADW EX. LOVE IT – my tablet seems zippier and I have way more control over the interface. However, there is one issue – when I change screen orientation, my widgets disappear. They only reappear when I zoom out to see all screens and then zoom back in. Is this a known issue, and is there anything I can do on my end to prevent this? Thanks.

• Kristert
      • October 5th, 2011 1:50am

I have the exact same problem. Does anyone have a solution for this?

• Patrick
    • October 2nd, 2011 5:54pm

I have version 1.3.6 and have a question. I use a widget made by samsung called program monitor. I cannot add the widget with adw running. It doesn’t show up in the widget list at all. Why not?

• Rod
    • October 2nd, 2011 11:52pm

I really like the new version (EX) except for the Sliding Quick Folders – I would like a choice to show a folder either the original way or the new sliding way. I like to organize the order if things and the only way to do that with the quick folders is to create a new folder, drag the items from the new folder into it in the order I want. Now later if I want to add something between two existing items, I have do repeat the same process again. With the old folder implementation I could drag icons around the folders to change it. So having an option for the folder to be Sliding or not would be great.

• meerbot
    • October 3rd, 2011 4:56am

My widget issue has been resolved! ADW looks great and is working great on my tablet. Thanks for making such a great launcher :-)

• Reggie777
    • October 4th, 2011 12:01pm

I have been having a problem with the dock when I come back to the homescreen from my browser. The dock is enlarged, and most of the icons are replaced by large plus signs. The only way I can recover is to reboot the tablet. I am using a gTablet, with Flashback. Other than that, I do love this launcher. Any suggestions?

• juanjo
    • October 4th, 2011 10:40pm

Good evening!
    I love awd launcher EX, its the best by far, last week i updated my tablet to android 2.3 and when i reboot, i get a margin on the left and right sides of the screen where i cannot place icons, its about 1 icon wide, on both sides. its weird, regular awd launcher works perfect, but with EX, i get this unusable space on the screen.. could you give a look at it ? my tablet is a Gpad Gforce 10 inch Cortex a8. if i can provide any more info, please let me know.. thanks in advance
    Juanjo

• Hugo
    • October 5th, 2011 2:04pm

Hi, I am having an issue with ADWlauncher EX on Samsung S2(i9100)

Whenever I try to choose a photo as my homescreen wallpaper, it gets zoomed in and very pixelated – TouchWiz doesn’t have that problem.

Can you fix this bug in next upgrade?

thanks

4. mantra :

what he said, seriously I love this application to death… but launcher IMO & I have used 4 of the major ones

but this issue is driving me crazy!!! and the custom labels are important to me

• Marco
    • October 9th, 2011 11:54am

Hi, this app is quick and nice looking on SG2. I use it as default home and this says it all.

…but:

*Notification bubbles are missing on the icons (e.g. sms, calls, emails, updates …).
    *For the price you shall provide the user with some cool looking widgets who could be used exclusivelly on ADW.launcher ex.

Thanks in advance for bringing those updates!!! ;-)
    Cheers,
    M

• Jones
    • October 10th, 2011 12:29am

A quick question about applying a custom theme that is in the form of a zipped file. Where do you unzip it to so that ADW can recognize it?

• Ed
    • October 10th, 2011 12:34am

Dear Dev,

I am writing to try and bring your attention to an aspect of ADW launcher that I feel could be much improved. Specifically, the ‘catalogs’ feature of the app drawer.

I have been using an app called ‘Folder Organiser’ for some time now to organise my apps. In my eyes the functionality of this app goes above and beyond that of the app cataloging of ADW launcher. With that said, I believe equal functionality could be achieved very easily within ADW launcher and in a far more simple manner. I hope to outline a few changes that in my eyes would drastically improve the app cataloging within ADW.

1) When I am viewing a group I want to know exactly what group it is I am seeing. Currently the only indication of what group I am viewing is the little box that appears when I change group. Frustratingly there is noticeable lag on this box as well. Simply displaying the name of the current group at the top of the drawer would be very beneficial in my eyes. Perhaps an approach like that of the new market would be best, with swiping left and right scrolling between groups. I have attached a picture to illustrate what I mean.

2)I would like to see minor changes to the ‘setup group’ option. Presently this option will only allow you to setup the group you are currently viewing. I believe that it would be far more useful if this button displayed a list of all the groups, allowing the user to select exactly which group they want to setup irrespective of which group they are currently viewing. The ‘new catalog’ option would also fit very nicely into this list instead of where it’s currently found – the ‘choose group’ options. Once you have opened a group to setup there should be an option to delete that group, thereby removing the ‘remove catalog’ button from its current location.

3) Another priceless feature of folder organiser is that when you install a new app a notification asks if you want to add it to a group. This makes it very easy to keep your apps organised, even if you are the kind of person who installs new apps on a daily basis. If it is, kudos. If not I believe it would be great.

4) The final feature that would be very useful is the option to backup your catalogs. In all honesty I am not certain if this feature is already implemented or not. If it is then kudos, if not I believe it would be really beneficial.

Thank you for taking the time to listen to my thoughts. I appreciate that not everyone will agree with my personal opinion, but I hope that the potential of an improved cataloging system can be realised in future releases of ADW launcher.

Kind Regards

Ed Coppen

• Ben
    • October 10th, 2011 12:20pm

If I rename an app on my homescreen (i.e. from “Mort Player Audio Book” to just “Audio Books” this change lasts only as long as I do not restart my phone. After restart, there is again the app icon with the label “Mort Player Audio Book”.

Samsung Galaxy S2, Androidmeda-HyperDroid-v1.0.0

• Christopher
    • October 11th, 2011 12:08pm

Hi there. I’ve found some serious bug with galaxy 10.1 (or whole honeycomb but dunno) while using adw launcher ex. When using it, built in task closer becomes laggy as fuck, it’s not so important. but It consumes more than 10% battery depending on how much I use it. less I use tablet, more % it consumes, because Screen consumes less. I hope you will fix it soon. I bought it especially for my tablet, so if it’s not gonna be fixed I want money refund, because that bug reduces my battery lifetime to maximum one day in idle…

• kroewe
    • October 12th, 2011 10:39pm

Would love to see the option to use the horizontal docks on my 7 inch galaxy tab in landscape mode

• Derrick
    • October 13th, 2011 1:36pm

Can you make the docks, both of them, rotate with the orientation of the phone. And what weather wigdet is that on the screen shot

• Kenneth
    • October 13th, 2011 6:03pm

I just purchased ADWLauncherEX 1.3.3.1 and have this unfortunate bug. The icon size is always smaller than what I have specified in the settings when i boot android up I must restart ADWLauncherEX before the problem is remedied. Why is this so?

• Don
    • October 14th, 2011 10:27pm

Is there a way to have more than 5 home screens or did I miss something?

Steven :
    HI,
    at first the launcher is very good, but i miss some features.
    maybe you can upgrade this app.
    1. In the drawer i added some categories but i cant move or sort them.
    thanks and best regards
    steven

• matt
    • October 15th, 2011 10:38am

Have you given up, sir? Go launcher had now surpassed you, and its a right shame.

Hope to see an update soon.