ADWLauncher EX. “A new hope”

Update!

ADWLauncher EX is now available through AndroidPIT market for everyone who prefer buying through paypal, have problems with their credit cards not allowing Euro payments or just don’t have Google’s support on their countries!

Hi everyone and Merry Christmas!!!!

I’m proud to announce a new toy for all of you, desktop tweaking addicts. Here’s what I’ve named “ADWLauncher EX“.

Differences between ADW.Launcher and ADWLauncher EX

ADWLauncher EX is based on the ADW.Launcher opensource code with a lot of new additions and improvements, like for example:

• 5 different app drawer styles/behaviors
    • 3D Nexus One like applications drawer
    • 2 different plain vertical applications drawers styles, the “old one” and a new fast and smooth one
    • 2 different Iphone-like horizontal applications drawers, a traditional paginated one and a new one with continuous fling
  • Different desktop transitions (8 at the moment): new animations while navigating through your desktop screens. Try them all, they’re crazy!!!
  • New Icons configurations/look and feel: Tweak your desktop icons, change its sizes, add coloured backgrounds, change font size, color, etc!
  • New fast presets mode: Quickly change the whole desktop configuration by 1 click!
  • Editable desktop icons for applications, shortcuts and folders!
  • Lots of code improvements
  • More, more more to come!!

Q&A’s

¿Is this opensource too, like ADW.Launcher?

Er….. what??? Are you serious?

Yep

Hm….. So we won’t be seeing ADWLauncher EX source code being released anytime soon, right?

I haven’t said that :-)

When?

When I think it’s time to do it. I’m really tired of some parts of the “android developer community” using my code to develop cool apps (it’s an honour but) never contributing to my (or other) opensource projects, or even put a single mention out there about their code “origins”….

So the amount of ADWLauncher EX code being opensourced and the time rquired to do it will depend on a lot of factors from now on.

Are you discontinuing the free ADW.Launcher?

At all. And I’m always trying to have both projects “in sync” so all new ADW.Launcher features will be added to ADWLauncher EX, and *some* ADWLauncher EX features will become part of ADW.Launcher too.

And remember, ADW.Launcher is an opensource project, anyone could fork it and go on developing it (as a lot other developers have done but without releasing sources)….

Also remember that I’m not the only guy developing ADW.Launcher. @boombuler is coding and helping a lot.

Screenies

• Paul
    • January 1st, 2011 1:59pm

If people take your source code, but don’t release their derivative work as open source (which is a shame really!) then I think you should consider using the GNU GPLv3 or some other strong copyleft licence.

• csaunders
      • January 6th, 2011 10:39pm

It’s a shame that people are taking his code and not giving him credit. But I as a developer would rather see people using my code than avoiding using any of it in their own projects because it has a license on it like the GPL.

• Loukas
    • January 1st, 2011 2:45pm

Hello

I have ADW EX and I have a question regarding its performace.
    Many times when I wake up the phone or close the drawer and swipe left or right, I get a lag and the screen animation isn’t instant.
    This only happens in the first swipe and its fine after that.
    Does anyone know how to fix that? Any setting I can tweak?

Thanks!

• tau626
      • January 3rd, 2011 11:09pm

I have the ame problem too…

• Edwinek
      • January 4th, 2011 2:25pm

Yes, I have that too. Always at the first swipe there is a lag. It was that way with ADW free already, but I’d hoped EX would have eliminated it. Sadly, no.
      (HTC Desire, Froyo, not rooted)

• dagwood
    • January 1st, 2011 7:04pm

Bought the app. i do like it a lot. it reminds me of what makes using linux so awesome. customizabilty and bling aka compiz. There is no forum that I can see to submit bug reports or feature requests, so if this comment box is the wrong place to try and provide feedback, please point me in the right direction. My concern is battery life. It seems to have dropped by half on a moto droid, stock rom, froyo. Using a competitors product, I saw roughly a full 24 hours on a full chard. With ADW.ex running, I am lucky to have a running phone by the end of a work day. I want to keep using adw.ex. do you have suggestions for improving battery life. are some transitions or app drawers more battery intensive than others? again, keep up the good work. Thanks

• Heather
    • January 1st, 2011 11:00pm

Will adw.launcher backup settings and themes work on adw ex?

• Heather
    • January 1st, 2011 11:04pm

Well nvm, i shouldve read comments first.

• johnm
    • January 2nd, 2011 1:10am

Some strange happenings since installing EX. Random FC’s and reboots, an also the stock News & Weather widget constantly loses its connection… At times ALL widgets fail, go to black, and display “Problem loading widget” simultaneously, requiring a power off or reset to clear. – Could these be related? Previous ADW versions were rock solid.

• johnm
    • January 2nd, 2011 1:12am

Whooops – should mention – running on a Motorola Droid running Android v2.2.1.

• Peter
    • January 2nd, 2011 3:25am

Is there an option setting for scrollable widgets? I cannot find it in ADW EX

• Tutor
    • January 2nd, 2011 9:27am

Droid2 newbie here
    I know this has been asked (not answered)
    Is there documentation of any sort on this app? I did purchase it and I guess the v1.0 of ex is the latest and greatest. After playing around with the app for a few hours I had just about finally gotten most things like I wanted them but then inadvertently dragged the (I don’t know the proer name for it) application picker app that opens the installed apps… dragged it off the page somehow and had to restore ADW back to startup settings again to get it back.

So besides the video that gives an overview… is there a forum or doc?

• LuvMyDroid
    • January 2nd, 2011 9:49am

Tutor :
    Droid2 newbie here
    I know this has been asked (not answered)

I agree. I would love some documentation. I can’t seem to figure out how to work the hidden dock thing. It’s blank and I can’t drop any icons there. I thought that would have been how it worked.

• landor
    • January 2nd, 2011 3:29pm

The “Dock Icons Tint” feature is buggy on Samsung Galaxy S!

• stipe
    • January 2nd, 2011 3:58pm

Can I buy ADW Launcher via PayPal?

• Tarver king
    • January 2nd, 2011 11:29pm

The single most amazing thing to ever happen to a phone

• Bob Quinlan
    • January 3rd, 2011 2:14am

I just upgraded to the EX version and I’m having a problem. When I try to assign an image from my gallery as a folder icon I get a force close error. I was able to make it work once, but it has failed at least a dozen times.

I have an original Motorola Droid running Android 2.2.1. Is there anything else that might help you track this down?

Thanks!

• Tekrhino
    • January 3rd, 2011 3:05am

I’m having an odd issue the secondary dockbar. Sometimes I will find the icons are overlaying one another. It’s very weird, has anyone else seen this with the EX version?

• Derek
    • January 3rd, 2011 12:04pm

I’m only having one problem or maybe it’s just user error, but when running EX I lose screen rotation. I have portrait only.
    This is only happening with this launcher. When I switch back to Launcher Pro+ it works fine.
    Is there a setting somewhere that I’m just not seeing?

• Derek
    • January 3rd, 2011 12:06pm

Nevermind I just got a reply. “If you enable the persistence option, you loose screen rotation.”
    For anyone else who might have been confused.

• Eli
    • January 3rd, 2011 1:46pm

This app desperately needs an update for bugfixes.
    It’s a tech demo until then. :(

• Sanos
    • January 3rd, 2011 3:29pm

Hello will EX work on donut (HTC Tattoo)?

• guldfisken
      • January 3rd, 2011 10:05pm

yes i does

• guldfisken
    • January 3rd, 2011 10:05pm

hi! i love new ex, but i am a little disapointed over adw notifier. it does not work for htc tattoo. would be very happy if you made that change if its possible.

• Frewys
    • January 4th, 2011 3:40am

Writing here since there seems to be no forum or other way of communicating.

Just tried it and LOVE the configuration possibilities of the animation and the icon re size possibilities!!

Coming from LauncherPro that was awesome to but I got a little bored of it and after reading so much good stuff about it I tried it.

Just ONE thing I lack from it for it to be perfect and that is the dock swipe to launch an ap.

Please don’t bloat it with Widgets.

• Eli
    • January 4th, 2011 5:20am

aha, I disabled new icons and have not had a force close since. Dev, new icons seem to be causing force closes.

1. So for lack of a better way to contact you AnderWeb just wanted to say a couple things…

1) ADW Ex is awesome, worth every penny. By far the best home screen app I’ve used, and I’ve tried quite a few.

2) Please start a forum/twitter/service email for us! I can do it through the app, but some talkback would be great.

3) In lue of not doing that… can you slip in an option to make the home screens loopable? Would be great for transitions Option 1 and Option 5.

4) Also, but not nearly as important, can you name your transitions? I don’t think I’m the only out there that has problems finding the one I want.

Thanks alot for the great app and I hope to continually support you in the future.

• Thomas
    • January 4th, 2011 8:55am

Excellent app… however..!

The “swipe to show nofification” is broken for me… more often than not the notfication area is stuck showing only the “handle” when I swipe from the top… it does not scroll far enough down to see the actual notifications… anyone else seeing this??

2. I really like this new ‘launcher’, the only thing I’d like to see is the rolling/scrolling dock that you can put 16 shortcuts on like Launcher Pro. I’m having a hard time giving that up. Other than that I’d like to use ADW full time. It is much faster

• Brock
    • January 4th, 2011 8:12pm

Hi, anyone else have icon alignment issues? On the very bottom row I have a (left to right) standard youmail app icon, gmail notifier widget, handcent icon widget, and standard Touchdown app icon. The problem is that the two standard icons are a little lower than the widgets. Anyone else have issues aligning the bottom row?

• Ash
    • January 4th, 2011 10:49pm

I am enjoying ADW Launcher EX. It is working well for me and I have not encountered what I would consider to be a bug or failed operation yet.

One functionality I find missing is per-icon gestures in the app row. On LPP and Go, I had it set up that gesturing Up on my dialer would launch Vlingo Voice Dial; gesturing up on my SMS app would bring up my contacts list, up on the Browser icon would bring up a bookmarks list, etc. This seems like functionality that should be easy enough to add without affecting too much of the intended experience.

• BC
    • January 4th, 2011 10:52pm

I’ve been on the free version of ADW for quite a while and love it, but I concur with several others on here – I won’t buy EX until there’s a way to import from the free version to EX. I guess I’m just too lazy to spend that much time setting up EX when the free version is sufficient for what I need. ;) As soon as the import is there, I’ll buy.

• Mes
    • January 4th, 2011 11:40pm

I seem to be running into a problem with ADW Launcher Ex. I have a Droid X, non-rooted, and every once in a while, when I try setting a wallpaper, after selecting it, and cropping it to the desired size, nothing happens. The system acts as if it is loading the new wallpaper as the default background, but when the process finishes, the old wallpaper remains in place, and I have to go back and do the process a second time. It usually works after that, but it is annoying to have to set the wallpaper twice in order for it to take effect.

• Syrre
    • January 5th, 2011 2:05am

hi guys … just to let you know, you can import your old settings to this version… just rename the backups from adw_settings to adw_ex_settings …. works on both types of backups =P

• JMoquette
    • January 5th, 2011 3:22am

Can we please get a little support for ADW Notifier. It’s still very buggy and lacks Google Voice support! Please!

• BC
    • January 5th, 2011 3:44pm

Syrre :

Can anyone else confirm this? I hope so…I’m ready to upgrade if this is the case.

• TMReuffurth
    • January 5th, 2011 4:22pm

I bought ADW Launcher EX and i really love it. Beste Launcher out there. Just one thin i would like to see in future release. It´s possible to hide the Dock with a swype but what i really would prefer is a option that allows me to hide the Dock only when going into the Appdrawer, to see all my apps without the Dock. I know, that i can hide it to there, but would prefer a automatical hide setting.

• JP
      • January 17th, 2011 7:41am

Just go ADW Settings > UI Settings > Drawer Settings > Make sure the checkbox for the Full Screen option is marked

Cheers

3. On the site says AppBrain ADWLauncher Ex works on all versions of Android, including the Cupcake (Android 1.5). I tried to install on my Motorola Nextel i1 that is Cupcake and not allowed to install. What happened? Works or not in Android 1.5? I await answers. Thanks, Marcelo.

• GBM
    • January 7th, 2011 9:12am

I’m not having any problems other than that the setting to automatically close folders after launching an application seems not to work. I’m using an Apps Manger custom shortcut, rather than a standard folder. Aside from that apparently being unsupported (or broken, if it is supported) I’m loving everything about EX! Thanks.

• Masai
    • January 7th, 2011 3:32pm

Resizing widgets is much better in Launcher Pro, which is the main reason I can’t fully switch to ADW EX. When I resize a widget in ADW EX, it will cut off part of the widget if I go too small even by a small margin. For an example, place the setcpu widget in both launcher pro and ADW. Then resize the widget to take up one cube/unit. It looks fine in LP but gets chopped off in ADW.

Love the transitions in ADW although I wish they had NAMES instead of number! And would also love to see a more pronounced cube effect.

Also, the exclusion of Launcher Pro’s widgets is a huge drawback and the substitutes that currently exist aren’t quite up to snuff.

Good work on the app however.

• Matt
    • January 8th, 2011 4:15am

Great app. Any way I can ORGANIZE (myself.. drag and drop style a la Go Launcher/iPhone).. I’d love to put the apps I use most often at the start of the App launcher

• Rafal
    • January 8th, 2011 10:03pm

Hi, i have bought your application but i cant insall it… it download sth but after a while (1-3 sek) it appears once again ” Bought” not “Installed” and there is no way do get my payments back and guy it again without any problem…. I would like to get my money back and buy it again successfully. Contact me please…

• Stoy
    • January 13th, 2011 4:03am

I know this is a dumb question but how do I get the phone icon on the doc bar at the bottom. I am sorry its late maybe i am overlooking something.

I made the purchase a little while ago went to make a phone call and could not find phone icon.

• AtheistMonk
    • January 14th, 2011 3:24am

It’s unfortunate you’ve decided not to make this version open source as well. Could always make it GPL and still charge for it.
    Either way I’d buy it and have just done so right now ;P

• Marc
    • January 15th, 2011 11:01am

Stoy, just make a shortcut by pressing & holding “phone” in the app drawer (on any homescreen), then drag it down to the dock.

• tediberus
    • January 15th, 2011 11:10am

i hope the app drawer can be customized …. kinda like tuchwiz’s app drawer ….. pages where you can re arrange the icons rather than having to creating groups and not necessarily having to be alphabetical.

• Roman
    • January 18th, 2011 11:50pm

Hi! Thanks for such a nice shell!

Everything is perfect. But the only thing that make me hesitate while choosing between ADW an Launcher Pro is absence of launcherpro-like dock in ADW! If you made the same dock, you product would be merely awsome! ))

• Ladios
    • January 23rd, 2011 2:24pm

How about translation? A repo of res only on GitHub, like RomManager does?

• Pete
    • February 5th, 2011 5:23pm

Bob Quinlan :
    Thanks!

Yeah, I’m getting exactly the same issue on my GT-I9000 (Jim’s Hamster ROM v6.3 (Froyo 2.2.1)).
    Can anyone out there offer any suggestions as to why this might be happening? I was working fine two days ago.
    Many thanks all
    BTW, this is a great piece of software, fantastic!