ADW.Launcher 1.2.0 out

If you want ADW.Launcher information in Spanish, please head to this thread on movilzona.es
Si deseas información acerca de ADW.Launcher en español, dirígete a este foro en movilzona.es

Hi, long time without updating, sorry.

I’ve implemented a little addon app in the market (really cheap) to handle gmail, sms and missed calls notifications into ADW, search for “ADWNotifier” in the market.

Here is the latest ADW.Launcher release, version 1.2:

Changelog:

-New option to show app drawer catalog navigation buttons when opening the app drawer
-New global notification system to show \”unread counters\” on app icons. Currently other app developers must support it, like Touiteur does.
-New functionality to dynamically resize already added widgets on the screen. Just long-press a widget and leave it on the original place.
-Added compatibility with Motorola\’s Motoblur resizable widgets (obviously, only of you own a Motorola device)
-Added custom Launcher Actions to the custom shortcuts. Now you can create shortcuts to launcher actions like opening the app drawer, showing the previews, etc
-Support for unlimited custom app catalogs (previously limited to 4)
-Inverted the app catalogs logic: Now new apps are not shown on all catalogs (sorry, you\’ll need to create your catalogs again)
-Minor fixes and improvements here and there…

Screenshots:

Notes:

The new notifications system WON’T show notifications for an app unless the app is made to support it. If you’re an app developer and want to add support for ADW notifications, just contact me, it’s really easy to implement!!!

Downloads:

Warning, CM6 versions may be different to the ones provided into CM6 nightlies/rom releases, so make sure you nandroid or whatever before pushing/flashing!

Downloads are hosted in our google-code project site. If they’re not yet available, please be patient while i upload them…

• Khaytsus
    • October 18th, 2010 7:13pm

Hmm, I liked having new apps show in the catalogs myself.. I can see the motivation for going either way. Possible to make it a config option somewhere?

• Mex
      • October 21st, 2010 9:57pm

I agree. I used the catalogs to hide the crapware bundled on my phone. I would appreciate having the apps appear in the catalog as an option.

• koveleski
    • October 18th, 2010 10:14pm

Is there any new hooks for ADWThemes in relation to ADW settings? For example, show/hide desktop labels, disable/enable wallpaper scrolling, page margin, etc.

• koveleski
      • October 18th, 2010 10:19pm

Also, will the desktop edit images as well as the widget resize images all be integrating so that they can be themed?

• Sean
    • October 19th, 2010 4:08am

This version is crashing a LOT for me. I fresh wiped and installed simply stunning rom just 5 days ago, been using my phone a lot maybe 1 crash a day.

Today I install 1.2, and I’ve force closed probably 12 times and the days not even over with yet.

• AnderWeb
      • October 19th, 2010 8:48am

That’s why we opened an issue tracker. This kind of messages do not help fixing issues…

• Oracle
    • October 19th, 2010 5:35pm

1.2.0 won’t install on my G1 (no root). I keep getting a download error. Tried rebooting the phone, clearing up some space, uninstalling previous version of the launcher, but no luck. Thoughts?

• AnderWeb
      • October 19th, 2010 10:38pm

Clear the market cache and data and try again (from Settings/apps/manage apps/market)
      Seems the market app is making this kind of behavior lately…

• Oracle
        • October 20th, 2010 3:41am

Okay tried it. Didn’t work. Actually after trying to download other apps, they also failed. I wonder if there is something wrong with the new market (froyo features) on the G1 has anything to do with it. Sucks.

• Tiago Machado
    • October 19th, 2010 8:00pm

Hello,

I installed and rebooted but Activites and Launcher actions does not exist.

Can you please help.

• Tiago Machado
    • October 19th, 2010 8:03pm

Tiago Machado :
    Hello,
    I installed and rebooted but Activites and Launcher actions does not exist.
    Can you please help.

Sorry found it.

How can I create catalogs? :)

• Tiago Machado
    • October 19th, 2010 8:16pm

Tiago Machado :

Tiago Machado :
    Hello,
    I installed and rebooted but Activites and Launcher actions does not exist.
    Can you please help.

Sorry found it.
    How can I create catalogs? :)

My bad, just found it too.

For once, a real answer: is it possible to make a shortcut of catalogs ?

• AnderWeb
      • October 19th, 2010 10:37pm

Yeah, the catalog names will appear inside the launcher actions

• Cheer Xiao
    • October 20th, 2010 3:29am

Well, I wish the app drawer catalogs could be configured to include newly installed app or not. I have two catalogs, namely “accessories” and “3rd party” in my drawer. I used to maintain “accessories” by hand and the change means that I’ll have to maintain “3rd party” by hand, which is irritating and should be automated. Another feature request: I wish ADW could take over the search dialog and allow more customization, like allowing the user to choose what to search for (apps, files, or web). It would be awesome for keyboard addicts like me cuz I would be able to type the name of the app and launch it with one click, instead of looking them up in the drawer.

• cgdiaz
    • October 23rd, 2010 12:53pm

I’m loving the new ADW launcher, updated from the stock CM6 to the new ADW 1.2, I was curious on the notification counters, does it work with themes? I can’t seem to get it to work at all.

Running CM6 on a G1

• cgdiaz
      • October 23rd, 2010 12:54pm

Also the agenda widget never reloads after a reboot, all others seem ok for me.

• David Harris
    • October 24th, 2010 3:55am

Awesome software man. You rock. Totally. Good luck in your efforts to get some monetary reward as well – I’m pretty sure I sent in a PayPal donation (but that might have been another piece of software).

Two feature requests and a request/comment:

1. I mash the “Back” key repeatedly to get to the home screen sometimes. It would be nice if pressing the Back key at a non-default desktop would return me to the default desktop (as per the “Home button binding” option.

2. I’d _really_ like ADW to always go to the default home screen when I press the Home button, regardless of where I am (including other applications). I think applications like Itchy Thumb (and Quick Dock or Quick Deck or whatever it is) exist precisely _because_ it’s uncommon for home screen software to always move to the default desktop whenever (WHENEVER) the user presses Home.

Lastly, my request/comment:

I’ve noticed a delay of about 6-700ms whenever I press the Home screen button. ADW displays very quickly after that 6-700ms mark or so, but that delay is always there. It’s pretty irritating. I’ve actually seen this with pretty much every home screen application. I don’t believe the problem is in ADW, but I suspect ADW could do something to make it go away. I’ve also seen this on the Galaxy S series, and the Acer Liquid E. I believe it has to do with some latency in the Intent system. Via ‘adb shell’:

# CLASSPATH=/system/framework/am.jar time app_process /system/bin com.android.commands.am.Am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -c android.intent.category.HOME
    Starting: Intent { act=android.intent.action.MAIN cat=[android.intent.category.HOME] }
    Warning: Activity not started, its current task has been brought to the front

real 0m0.768s
    user 0m0.580s
    sys 0m0.100s

The timing between that process exiting and ADW displaying is pretty much spot-on. I can’t tell the difference, there’s virtually no delay.

If ADW can find a way around that, if it can take over the home button directly (like some applications do with the volume or camera buttons), I imagine it would get a reputation for being insanely, ridiculously fast. (Perception is everything, and boy is that 700ms a lot of time for perception :)

Thanks a lot for all the great work,

Dave

• David Harris
      • October 24th, 2010 3:57am

(As a side note, it usually takes 1.5-2s for me to get to the default home screen. First I press Home, wait out the 700ms, and then hit Home again. The second press takes just as long as the first one.)

• issa
    • October 24th, 2010 4:00pm

Is there any possibility to implement app icon changer like in livehome launcher. Also changing apps icon in app drawer. Also name change. And not as shortcuts on homescreen? I nhave it hard to make my theme include my icons for my installed apps.

• mkrmec
    • October 24th, 2010 11:12pm

I just wanna say you’re doing great work with this launcher. Getting better and better by the release.

• issa
    • October 25th, 2010 1:30pm

Hello. I want to work on my theme. And i add custom icons and put them in the rigrt drawable dir. But only browser shows new icon not the others. I have double checked. Everything seems right ?? Any help pls

• Isaiah
    • October 25th, 2010 9:50pm

Hello, I’m running Android version 2.2 on a Nexus One. I have ADW Launcher version 1.0.1 and I don’t know how to update it. A little help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you. :D

• Amir
    • October 26th, 2010 1:25am

hmmmmm
    faster than ever
    HTC Hero Froyo

• malik
    • October 26th, 2010 10:01pm

Hi everyone.. i have a question if its okay to ask. I have trouble show my own icons in app drawer, i have createt in my theme. The only app icons that does show is settings, market and browser. I have followed the app package name convention i have found on adw wikia. How can i get my app icons to show besides custom short icons on the homescreen. In livehome you have the option to thange the icons in app drawer in settings. It would be nice if adw had that option. Thanks for this awesome launcher

• VooDoo`
    • October 27th, 2010 8:55am

hello,

I have written at the xda board about a potentially app-categorize system and uploaded a imagemanipulation to show you how it could look.

It will be glad if you can look at my entry and leave a comment.

thx
    VooDoo`

• Logan
    • October 29th, 2010 9:07am

The dock is still slightly off on samsung vibrant.. The center launcher is slightly indented more than the short cuts

• Sharvath
    • October 31st, 2010 8:49pm

This app (along with ADW Notifier) has drastically improved my Android experience. Kudos to the developer! I only have one minor aesthetic gripe. I am able to select an indicator type for my home screen, but that doesn’t affect the app drawer indicator. I much prefer the bottom sliding bar to the dots.

I don’t assume this would be too hard to implement in a newer version, but I also know that it’s not terribly important. By all means, focus on better features and bug fixes, but maybe keep this in the back of your mind. :)

Thanks for the great product!

• wweic
    • November 1st, 2010 9:00am

Hello!
    This version, using dynamic background, the application opens when the effects are inconsistent with the static background. When you select a static image background, the expansion into a push-pull effect. I can set them? So that they are stretching effects.