ADW.Launcher 0.7rc3 out!

Well, a few bugs fixed (I’m sure a lot of new bugs introduced :P ) so i can release version 0.7rc3 for Eclair….. and Froyo!

Warning: i’ve only changed the search widget (cause that is what was causing fc’s and other annoyances under Froyo) but still has a few caveats… so please READ all the following release notes.

• If you try to run this inside a rooted Froyo phone you need to FLASH IT from recovery. Some people hav warned me about being unable to “adb push” it…
  • Changing some “ADWsettings” will warn about restarting the launcher. Froyo WON’T restart it (they’ve changed the api) so if you find it acting weird, restart it manually from android application manager
  • I cannot test it on Froyo cause I have no Froyo atm!!!! If you have some hints to share… please do it! :-)

Ok, if you’ve already read and UNDERSTOOD all of the above, feel free to try it on your Froyo rooted phone and send me some feedback :-)
Everyone else (Eclair users) this is just like rc2, you can flash or extract the apk and adb push it… whatever.

And a sad note for this version: I removed the “multiple pages scrolling” from the horizontal app drawer (Galaxy S style drawer)… now you only can scroll 1 page at a time… sorry but it was causing a lot of problems… I don’t know if I’ll re-add that feature again in the future, so if anyone want to contribute with code… you’re all welcome!

I’ve uploaded 3 packages for you to choose, like with rc2.

Download links:

Enjoy!

1. Awesome, waiting for it to be on git now :)

• AnderWeb
    • May 26th, 2010 10:10am

@Andrewtst
    I have not removed the Galaxy S drawer, just the code allowing to scroll more than one page at a time (flinging hard).

• samuel azcona
    • May 26th, 2010 10:12am

No funciona en mi nexus con froyo, lo instale via adb y via amon_Ra, tanto con el update.zip como con el push se copia en la carpeta /system/app pro no logro iniciarlo, como hago para iniciarlo? al presionar el boton home no me pregunta cual elegir se va directo al launcher2 original, gracias de antemano, me gusta el launcher quisera probarlo un saludo

does not work on froyo, I installed the 7rc3_alternative via amon_Ra, patching but
    at the beginning follows the original launcher and can not find how to start
    the 7rc3

help please

• AnderWeb
      • May 26th, 2010 10:15am

No se puede instalar con adb push.
      Prueba desde el recovery la version “alternate” y suerte :-)

• samuel azcona
    • May 26th, 2010 10:26am

@AnderWeb

gracias, he instalado desde el recovery, ya me funciona muchas gracias!!, lo estoy probando pero a primera vista me encanta xD, gracias por tu trabajo

• mohammed abdul huq
    • May 26th, 2010 10:54am

Do you have
    .Apk file?

How can I install it please help me…..
    Thank-you

2. Thank you for the update!

Also I really would like the screen switcher effect of Froyo with it.

btw, to get it working on Froyo, I had to use the “alternate build”.

Keep the good work!

• Andrewtst
    • May 26th, 2010 10:55am

I notice you mention you change the Search widget, you overwrite it or add extra one.

After install, would the new one still remain?

The Galaxy-S is damn cool, wish you added back in next release, as long as not scrolling over fast, it won’t cause any issue.

• samuel azcona
    • May 26th, 2010 11:10am

felicidades haz hecho un trabajo impresionante!! me encanta el launcher!! si no es mucha molestia en una próxima versión podrías agregar una opción para incrementar el tamaño de los iconos de los botones de acción me gustarían un poco mas grandes como en froyo xD, gracias por tu trabajo funciona a la perfección en froyo, espero con ansias nuevas versiones. saludos

• mua
    • May 26th, 2010 4:11pm

it not work on my legend :(

• anonymous
    • May 26th, 2010 6:28pm

Tip to test out on froyo: Use a virtual device.
    Awesome app!

• AnderWeb
      • May 26th, 2010 7:03pm

Yeah, i test it that way…..
      But there are some things you cannot test inside an avd (like search widget cause google global search doesn’t come inside the froyo AVD…..) and other things.

• Jose
    • May 26th, 2010 10:40pm

How do I install this I can’t install it on my G1
    HELP ME!!

• Cruzantis
    • May 26th, 2010 11:29pm

Ur Launcher is awesome. But the question remains. Exactly which bugs were fixed? like faster response? another question is since the launcher is working perfectly fine since rc1 and rc2 I want to know what sort of improvements I get for getting rc3 besides losing the multiple scrolling on the app drawer which is not a gain but a loss.

Just want to know to see if getting rc3 and losing the multiple add scrolling is worth it.
    For the record am using a Mytouch 3g
    cyanogen mod Stable version 5.0.7 DS
    Amon_RA 1.6
    Set CPU 528 MhZ – 245 Mhz

thanks in advance for your time :)

• terence chan
    • May 27th, 2010 6:29am

Ander,

great launcher, aesthetically and funtionality-wise the best launcher i’ve ever used. are you going to implement some speed/smoothness improvements in upcoming versions? just feels a bit “laggy” at times (even with scroll speed setting set to “zero”), i wish it were smoother. but great job, i love it!

• S66
    • May 27th, 2010 7:46am

thanks for your great work:)
    i tried to get it from github but i got several errors (only got 30min to try in the evening and also my first android steps, but i’m working every day with java and eclipse). e.g. missing string in the main.xml file, searching for a hello string. also got the problem, that my R.java is generated in com.android.launcher and not in the internal folder. so is it possible that you also check in your eclipse project files? otherwise we always have to create a own android project and import only the source. i think when the project files are also checked in, everyone can import the hole project directly from github. thanks:)

• AnderWeb
    • May 27th, 2010 10:23am

@terence chan
    If you wanna smooth desktop scrolling, goto settings, set desktop scrolling speed to about 300 and disable “LWP support”.

@S66
    You cannot build my code from within eclipse. Is an android system build, so you need to get the full android tree and build my hack into it. Read http://source.android.com for instructions.

Or you could wait till i release the market version and put my standalone code up on github :-)

• S66
    • May 27th, 2010 11:59am

so if i get it correctly, there is a difference between a normal android app (which i created with the android sdk + eclipse plugin…did my first hello world app;) ) and a hole system build?

• AnderWeb
    • May 27th, 2010 12:08pm

@S66
    Yeah, that’s right.
    A lot of android system apps use internal api calls/references not usable with the public sdk api.
    That’s the cause i haven’t released it as a standalone app yet.
    Anyways that is changing cause i’ve managed to get a fully sdk-compatible build and after fixing some bugs and releasing it on market i’ll upload the source to my github for everyone to play :-)

• S66
    • May 27th, 2010 3:21pm

ah thanks for the info, would be great:)

3. Great launcher, using it now on my droid with cyanogen for droid rom installed.

Some comments/ideas:
    - 4 bottom static app icons
    - ability to hide icons in the app drawer.

those are the two things id really like to see, but either way this is my default launcher now :) keep up the good work

• mpf
    • May 27th, 2010 11:45pm

nice app :)

any chance getting an option to have two more action buttons instead of the dots?

thanks =)

4. @mpf

just for clarification, ^ thats what i ment by 4 app icons

5. Hi AnderWeb!

I’m really liking 0.7! Didn’t like the smaller action icons on previous versions. I’m gonna switch from HelixLauncher, just have to put all my icons on place.

Is there a repository for the code, or an issue tracker? I’ve looked all over the place.

I’ve got some suggestions…

I think the drawer page indicators would look much better with the home indicator style (semi-transparent with a darker contour), and maybe move them to the same position, in the bottom by the sides of the home and action buttons.

I think the desktop scrolling settings, overshoot and speed, should apply to drawer scrolling too.

Desktop cycling would be cool too, jumping from last to first and vice-versa.

Thank U! :)

6. Oops, just found the github repo! :)

• earl
    • May 28th, 2010 5:10am

I think you should leave the battery the way it is.

7. Another vote for four action buttons (or the option to set up four action button shortcuts). Great work overall! Love controlling so many elements of the launcher!

• madsere
    • June 2nd, 2010 6:30am

Installed it on my HTC Desire and it could be started pressing the home button, that would give the choice of either HTC Sense or ADW.Launcher. It also gave an option to make the choice the default action. Somehow with my fat fingers I managed to make HTC Sense the default action and now I can’t find any way to start ADW.Launcher again. In the same vein, if I’d happened to make ADW.Launcher the default mode how could I get back to HTC Sense? Thanks.

• Leo
      • June 6th, 2010 10:32am

Hey Madsere,
      I had the same issue, I downloaded “Home Switcher” it worked! hopefully, I Can find the other way of doing it!

Good luck

• kriel
    • June 4th, 2010 7:28am

non-scroll wallpaper plz :)

• Colin RUpp
    • June 4th, 2010 11:01pm

Any idea where I can find a working .apk for an Incredible? All the downloads on the site will not open. Any help would be appreciated

• Leo
    • June 6th, 2010 10:20am

I think I disabled where it gives me a choice to run ADW or Sense… how do I get it back if I need to switch to sense?

Thanks!